13th February 2020 from 6pm at Rebel Recruiters
What's it about?
Join two of fabulous speakers in Tomasz Bartoszewski and Clifford Agius.
Tomasz Bartoszewski - Saving the World with IoT:
Tomasz will be demoing live how his work at OVO Energy has allowed him to develop an IoT Solution utlisiing the Microsoft Azure IoT Platform including IoT hubs.
Clifford Agius - Bionic Hand:
Meet Kayden, a local 14yr old young man and close family friend, who was born with no left forearm and hand.
The National Health Service (NHS) is an amazing service in the UK, however their prosthetic provision is both basic and expensive (to the NHS).
Surely with modern technology, we can not only improve the lives of young people like Kayden but also demonstrate how we can do it more cost effectively than current options.
This talk details how I set about building on the wonderful work of the OpenBionics team to provide Kayden with an alternative to the NHS prosthesis.
– How 3D printing of parts for the hand can be much more effective (cost and function) than fibreglass moulds
– Using home 3D printing we can create a viable articulated hand
– Using off the shelf commodity IoT boards from Adafruit can be used to program the hand (and how this is more viable than alternative approaches)
– Creating a Xamarin application to connect via Bluetooth and provide customisation and control options for the hand
– How this option can reduce the costs from £000’s to several hundred £s and is being done as an Open Source project which will feedback to the bigger project.
Attendees will learn about and see demos of:
– The 3D printed hand and related components
– Programming of the IoT board and sensors
– Creation of the Xamarin application to customise the hand.
– Bluetooth connection options.
Please note: Kayden and his family have given express permission to use his name and images for this talk.
What do we need to bring?
Just yourself and a willingness to learn!
IMPORTANT TO KNOW!
Please note. Neither the speaker nor the Nottingham IoT Meetup are responsible for any damage to any components or hardware you may bring along.
Note also that the equipment at the event remains the property of the speaker(s), and is for demo purposes only.
About Our Speakers:
Tomasz is a developer who likes to be involved in everything at work. He wanted to be a knight, but because of low demand, he ended up slaying bugs on production.
He likes improving performance of the applications. In his free time, he usually plays with Rubik’s cubes, currently the Megaminx. Big Lego fan, especially Castle series, and anything what requires creativity.
Cliff is a senior first officer with a Major UK Airline on one of its newest jets the 787 Dreamliner.
He has a passion for flying from an early age, although his earlier career was spent as an apprentice at the Ford Motor Company and then a Project Engineer covering Electrical/Software/Robot engineering in major automotive brands. However his drive, focus and determination was always to become a pilot.
After self funding his pilots license and passing all necessary exams his first commercial flight was with Aer Arran (Irish regional airline), where he flew ATRs from Dublin and Galway to Ireland regions and into the UK.
When not flying the plastic jet he spends his time huddled over his laptop thrashing the keyboard and working on some project from embedded systems to .Net.